Friday, January 21, 2022

Best Reads from 2021: Fiction

This is part 3 of my annual list – this time the best fiction books I read this year.  The pickings were a little slimmer on this list, but I did have a few good ones.

I am already looking forward to 2022’s fiction options, which include an epic fantasy from one of my favorite thriller writers, diving into James Corey’s Expanse series (I have been enjoying the Amazon Prime series) and part 3 of Hilary Mantel’s historical fiction series on Thomas Cromwell.

Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson  Sanderson is probably my favorite contemporary author.  Rhythm of War is part 4 in his immense, absorbing Stormlight series.  The writing is great, the characters are fascinating, the plot twists and turns, and the world-building is great.  I cannot wait until part 5 is written and released.

 

The Mage-Fire War by L. E. Modesitt Jr.  Modesitt’s books tend to be somewhat similar and slow-moving, but for some reason I enjoy them immensely. The Mage-Fire War is set in the world of Recluse, a place where magic is order/black or chaos/white based.  This book is the third featuring Beltur, an order mage who is growing in power but struggling to find a home where he and his family and friends can really call home.

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan  This is Anthony Ryan’s first novel and it is magnificent.  Vaelin Al Sorna is a fascinating hero and the world-building is great.  Unfortunately, as with many other first novels, part 2, Tower Lord, was good, but definitely not as good.  I am looking forward to reading more of his books in the coming years.

Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan  Many years ago, I read Sullivan’s  Ryria series and greatly enjoy the two main characters, Hadrian and Royce.  Age of Myth and its 5 sequels (see below) are set in the same world, but thousands of years before.  I read Age of Myth a few years ago and thought it was just okay.  Now that the whole series was finished, I began again and really enjoyed the scope and plot of the 6-book saga.

 

 


2nd Tier books – still recommended.

Black Order by James Rollins

Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan

Age of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan

Age of War by Michael J. Sullivan

Age of Legend by Michael J. Sullivan

Age of Death by Michael J. Sullivan

Age of Empyre by Michael J. Sullivan

The Obsidian Chamber by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

City of Endless Night by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

The Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks

Shadow’s Edge by Brent Weeks

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment